Strange Ways is a curated shop selling unique and unusual items for your wardrobe and home. We focus on smaller statement pieces like pins and patches that make it easy to add a bit of flair to everyday life. Working with 100+ independent artists and designers allows for new and fresh product to help you express your individual style.The shop was founded in 2014 by Alex Dakoulas, a lifestyle designer whose past work includes creating products for Converse and Puma. Strange Ways has been fortunate enough to be featured in such publications as Refinery29, GQ, Harper's Bazaar, Seventeen Magazine, Design*Sponge, BUST Magazine, and StyleCaster.
In our world, strange is just another word for unique.
We are proud to work directly with small brands and to support independent designers and artists, and take great joy in introducing customers to new people and items they haven't seen before. At Strange Ways we work to discover unique, underground product from up-and-coming creatives where most pieces are created in limited production runs with care. We're on a constant search for relevant product made with well-done artistry and attention to detail. We believe what makes one stand out—and yes, that is a good thing—is in the little things.
Strange Ways also works with talented folks to create one-of-a-kind collaborations and exclusive items. Through our forward-thinking and unusual lens we offer exclusive product from relevant trendsetters, creatives, and icons. We don’t just curate and carry interesting products—in creating it ourselves, we're a place you can look to for inspiration. By gathering talented, independent artists—and also collaborating with them—we are your 1 stop shop and gathering place for indie art culture.
If you're seeking a look beyond the mall and mass culture, our goal is that you can find it (or we can help you create it) at Strange Ways. We focus on carrying smaller-sized, lower-priced items that make it easy to customize your wardrobe and home to your unique taste. For all the wonderfully weird people out there with an eye for style, we hope you find a little bit of yourself in our products. We want to help you express your individuality and carry things you won't find anywhere else.
Supporting independent creatives—NO RIP-OFFS!
There is a rash of independent artists having their artwork ripped off by major corporations and fast-fashion outlets—we are NOT one of them. We are a small, independent shop that works directly with artists and small brands to carry their work, many of whom are considered friends. Your purchases support us, which in turn support the people we carry.
THE MANIFESTOStrange Ways is not just about the visual, but also about operating consciously. We specialize in product from creative entrepreneurs with small businesses. Being queer-owned we also like to feature LGBTQ artists, and there is a section devoted to American-made items. Throughout the year we also make donations to various nonprofits. We want to function professionally with a personal touch, to use our brains so you don't have to. Shopping should be easy, and buying from Strange Ways should make you feel good!
We have a solid reputation and strive to make our customers happy—some unedited reviews below.
Alex Dakoulas is the Founder and Creative Director for Strange Ways. His past experience includes 6 years as a Graphic and Product Designer for Converse and Puma where his work primarily revolved around account-specific consumers, concepts, and trends. He also ran his own brand, Dance Party Massacre, which you would have loved if you enjoy 80s horror movies. He's worked on collabs for DC Comics, Footlocker, Fangoria, Dr. Suess and more. His work has been featured in Inked Magazine, Out Magazine, Karmaloop.com, and High Snobiety among others.
- This Week in New Haven - Flair Fair — Daily Nutmeg
- Hipster Haven — The Improper Bostonian
- Strange Ways Pairs Up With Paramount — The Arts Paper
- The Strange Ways of Alex Dakoulas —Take Magazine
- Awesome Holiday Gifts for Under $25 —Glamour
- How Enamel Pins Are Using Instagram To Take Over The World —Uproxx
- Fashion Hacks: 9 Simple Ways to Customize Your Clothing—Apartment Therapy
- Pins and Needles: Tuesday Bassen—Bitch Media
- Flairing Up—Daily Nutmeg
- The Best Gifts Under $20 Fashion Girls—Harper's Bazaar
- 10 Adorable Accessories For Apple Picking—BUST Magazine
- Pop-up market showcases local designers—Yale Daily News
- How to Ace Kanye West's Effortless Summer Style—GQ
- DIY Celeb Style—Seventeen Magazine
- “Our favorite shops [for enamel pins]”—InsideHook
- 18 Indie Embroidered Patch Companies—Design*Sponge
- Patches, pins and other favorites at Strange Ways—New Haven Register
- Getting Strange In Westville—New Haven Independent
- Success Stories: Strange Ways—Shopify
- 10 Ridiculously Cool Iron-On Patches to Customize Your Denim Jacket—StyleCaster
- “Products that are a bit ‘left of center.’ Just like you.”—Boston Spirit Magazine